Scam Calls to Mobile Phones Quadruple Since 2015
Over 200,000 unwanted calls ranging from scammers to telemarketers are made to mobile phones and landlines each day. To better understand the kinds of calls that continue to bombard consumers, First Orion surveyed 1,000 mobile phone users from the United States and found spam and fraudulent calls have increased significantly over the last two years compared to the same survey two years ago.
Nearly 95 percent of those surveyed received a telemarketing call compared to 84 percent in 2015, and another 79 percent received a scam call as opposed to 69 percent in 2015.
The number of people receiving over 20 telemarketing and/or scam calls in the previous six months skyrocketed over the last two years. Three times as many people (20 percent) received telemarketing calls in the recent survey and four times as many people (12 percent) received numerous scam calls.
Other interesting facts include:
- Over 55 percent of respondents have received a scam call within the past month
- More than 26 percent of those surveyed would change from their current carrier to one that blocked or identified telemarketers and scammers when they called
- Almost 60 percent of consumers would be willing to pay monthly for a service that would identify callers, block spam and fraudulent calls as well as tell why they are calling compared to just 17 percent in 2015
- Over half of those surveyed believe it is their cell phone carrier’s responsibility to block scam and fraudulent calls or texts from coming to their phone
- Roughly three fourths of respondents said they would be more inclined to use a cell phone carrier that automatically blocked telemarketing and scam calls
About First Orion
First Orion provides data and phone call transparency solutions across multiple platforms, world-class data solutions, in-network call control and its PrivacyStar powered application solutions. First Orion Network Enterprise Solutions (FONES) currently provides call control, call blocking, call transparency and call management solutions to millions of mobile handsets. With branded and white-labeled applications as well as in-network solutions, First Orion assists mobile carriers in protecting mobile subscribers from unwanted or unknown calls, including Scammers, robocalls and Telemarketers. First Orion is headquartered in Little Rock, Arkansas with offices in Seattle, Dallas and London. For regular updates, please visit www.FirstOrion.com.
*First Orion surveyed 1,000 mobile phone users in the United States*