Modern WiFi technologies have changed the way we connect our devices to the internet, now we can connect from just about everywhere in the house. Unfortunately just about everyone has a dead spot in or around their home and it is usually right where you want to be. Extending the signal into that dark spot used to require some networking knowledge and the proper placement of a second router or wireless access point. That usually meant sacrificing some of your bandwidth. Well now D-Link has a simple to use almost invisible solution that provides bandwidth to spare.
D-Link’s DAP-1520 Wireless Dual Band Range Extender fits in the palm of your hand, it looks like a little white power brick that simply plugs into a convenient outlet and can be set up with the push of a button if your main router is WPS compatible. If not setting it up manually is a simple two minute operation…all you need to do is follow the step by step instructions that come with the unit.
- Wireless AC gives you high-speed wireless connectivity for your devices
- WPA2/WPA wireless encryption to keep your wireless connection secure
- One-piece wall plug design is compact, portable, and does not require additional power cables
- Built-in setup wizard and QRS Mobile app for mobile devices guide you through installation
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) for secure setup with the simple press of a button
- Wireless 802.11n/g/b/a backward compatibility
- Wireless speeds of up to 750 Mbps
- Dual-band connectivity for greater flexibility and reduced interference
The DAP-1520 uses a Unique D-Link feature that uses the 2.4 GHz band to communicate with the existing router while broadcasting both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals to connected devices. For starters this means you can turn your old single band router into a dual band wireless router. You can now extend network access to more wireless devices such as laptops, smartphones, tablets and more. Dual-band technology helps reduce interference from nearby wireless transmitters in the home, and also provides backward compatibility with older wireless devices in your network. Plus, combined with the high speed of Wireless AC more bandwidth is available; normally when you have a network extender the available bandwidth is split to handle the overhead of the back and forth between the router and the repeater. In my case, from the worst dead spot in my house I am able to use the full internet bandwidth I have available compared to considerably less than the optimum on an older 802.11n single band extender. This is especially important when streaming movies.
I have tested several repeaters and the D-Link DAP-1520 Wireless Dual Band Range Extender is by far the best of them all. I highly recommend it. The DAP-1520 is available wherever networking products are sold for $79.99.